Monday, July 26, 2010

Back in the day!

This week is my 20 year High School reunion! It is hard to believe it has been 20 years since I graduated, but as the old saying goes, "time marches on." For that last several months I have been getting emails upon email reminding me that this date was coming. I was told to mark it on my calendar. I was told to save the date. I was even told don't be the only one to miss out on your 20 year reunion. All that said, I'm not going! I know, your thinking how could you miss your reunion? The truth is I don't want to spend the money to go. These things have gotten so expensive that I decided I could spend my money better than at a reunion. I have to admit it would be fun to see some old friends and relive some old memories.

But the more I thought about reliving some old memories the more I realized that there is not much I did back in the late 80's that really means a whole lot to me now. Not that I didn't have fun or have good friends, but that was then and this is now. It is only what I do now makes a difference in the Kingdom. So I began to think about why we try to invest so much energy into the past when really our energy must be invested into the now so that it matters in the future.

Lately I have started asking my self what will my family look like in 20, 50, 100 years. Will what I have done now continue to make a difference in 100 years? You see, I believe that is where our focus should be. If I am doing what the Lord God has commanded me than I will have a generational vision. For most of us that is a hard concept to wrap our minds around, because it is always easier to look back than it is to look forward. And often times our pride keeps us from thinking about anyone else than ourselves. Truth be told that's what killing the family in the United States! We are more concerned about "me" than we are about "Him"! So we have to get back to leading our families so that when we are dead and gone the truths we have taught them will live on from generation to generation. You see, that is how you change your family tree.

It is an amazing thought to think that what we do now will impact generations 200 years from now. But it's true! If you are passionate about the things of God, teaching truths to your children, not settling for sin but loving the Lord God will all your heart, soul and mind then we can pass that down to the generations that follow. But it takes courage, passion, trust and obedience to bring about blessings in future generations of your family.

My dad use to tell me back when I was in high school, "remember who you are and whose you are". Those words have stuck with me. I want to remember that I'm a Kersh. I want to give the Kersh name a good name. But even more important than that I want to remember whose I am. I'm a child of the King. I more than anything want to give Him a good name. But I also want the generations of Kersh's to come to know that I worked to give God a good name and I want them to give Him a good name. My prayer is that God will burden you with that same passion for changing your family tree.

One more thing, developing a family vision is a new concept for most of us. So don't become frustrated or overwhelmed. Take your time and trust the Lord. He will give you what you need and encourage you along the way. Dads and moms, sit down together and plan your work and work your plan. Tell your family what you want to see happen their lives. Then be quick to never steal the glory from our heavenly Father. Remember it takes courage to change your family tree. So don't be afraid! Just trust and obey for there's no other way!


Paul Kersh
Family Tree Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment