Monday, July 12, 2010

It's Hard to Eat Jello with a Fork!

It has been a few weeks since my last post. I have been gone on a mission trip to Brazil. We saw God do some great things on our trip. It was amazing to see Him show up and show out. It truly was a great trip.

There were several things I learned while away. There were also some things God reminded me of, for instance, it's hard to eat jello with a fork. I know, I know, you are asking why were you eating Jello? Good question. But the truth of the matter is I was eating jello and I have no good excuse. They had no spoons so I was using my fork. Here is what I learned while trying to eat jello with a fork. It can be done but it is not the best way of doing it.

Isn't that the way we live a lot of the time. We are doing things that are not necessarily wrong, but it just may not be the best way of doing things or the best that God has for you.

I know many good parents who are raising their children the way their parents raised them. Now, there may not be anything wrong with the way they are raising their children it just may not be the best way that God has for them.

The same is true with many churches. How churches do church may not be bad, but it may not be the best. So here in lies our problem. How do we know God's best? We must go back to the Word of God and see what He has to say about what we are doing. If that means church, then Pastors you need to look and see if what is happening in your church matches up to what the Word has to say. If it doesn't, get rid of it. I know sometimes it's hard to get rid of that "sacred cow" but it must be done if you want the best.

Parents, if you want to raise extraordinaire kids instead of ordinary kids than you must change your family tree. Don't go do the same thing your parents did even if it is good if it doesn't' match up to God's best.

So starting today I've decided that my children should get God's best. That must start with me. I have to invest in them. I have to put my selfishness aside. I have to serve them Jesus. I have to let them see Jesus in me. I have to make God's Word as important to me as any sports event or hunting trip or worldly possession I might have. Falling in love with Jesus with all my heart and all my soul and all my mind must be the most important thing in my life. If I do that I won't be eating jello with a fork, but I will be washing the feet of my children and serving them the creator and Savior of the world. And that is the best thing I could give them.

Don't be afraid to change your family tree. So stop eating jello with a fork!

Paul Kersh
Family Tree Ministries

No comments:

Post a Comment