Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

This week my wife Angela and I will celebrate our 16Th wedding anniversary. It is hard to believe that we have been married that long even harder to believe that we have been together for more than 20 years. We were High school sweethearts, College sweethearts, young adulthood sweethearts and now parenting sweethearts. God has blessed us tremendously! I am so thankful that God has allowed Angela to be a part of my life. In fact, I have been with her longer than I have been without her and that is truly a blessing.

16 years ago we did not know all that God had in store for us. We had no idea that God would lead us down so many different paths. All of which have been for our good! We also had no idea that we would be the parents of 3 wonderful children. But that is what God did, and again it is for our good. But, it is also for His glory!

So many times we see things go on in our lives and we do one of two things. If it is a good thing that has happened we say, "Thank you Lord!" If it is a bad thing sometimes we say, " why me Lord!" But what I think we fail to say is, "It is for your glory Lord!" Because it is all truly about Him! His glory, His fame, His name, His will, His direction, His grace, His mercy, His love! It is all about Him. So as I look at my life this far can I say it has all been about Him. Unfortunately not! I wish I could say that all I have ever done was done with Jesus in mind. But that would be a lie. In fact, the truth is because I am a fallen individual in constant need of a Savior very rarely do I do things with only Jesus in mind. Most of the time I do things we me in mind. And I would bet I am not alone in my dealings. I am like many of you in that I wish I would do more for His glory and not my own.

Which leads me back to 16 years ago! Because 16 years ago when my beautiful fiance' said yes and became my wife that was something God did to bring glory to Himself by starting a family that would seek to glorify Him. I must say we have not always been successful in our desire to glorify Him, but we are trying. And that is all He asks us to do. Keep trying! Keep trying to glorify Him with our words, our actions, our thoughts. Keep trying to glorify Him with our marriages, with the training of our children, with our work. This is the job of the Christ follower!

The path that we must take to change our family tree is to seek to glorify Him! If we are doing everything as unto the Lord, it will change what we do and how we do it. For most people in society today, they are satisfied with the status quo. "If it was good enough for me when I was growing up, it will be good enough for my kids." Really! I know my parents did a great job of teaching me and training me, but I think they would even say they want better for their grandchildren than what they gave their children. And so do I! I want them to Love the Lord God with all their heart, soul and mind. With all that is in them I want them to praise Him. During the good and the bad, because He deserves to be glorified. For that to happen I have to change my family tree. I have to decide to live like no one else! I have to decide to glorify the Lord because He will be glorified!

Moms and dads let's decide today that the status quo is not alright for our children. Challenge them to be more for the Lord than we are. Encourage them to love the unlovable as Christ did! Teach them of the great faithfulness of our God and that He is a jealous God who longs for us to love Him with our whole heart, soul and mind. Let's change our family trees together for His glory! Deut. 6: 1-9 gives us clear instruction on how to change your family tree. So be couragous and act!

Finally, I would like to say to my wife, Angela thank you for saying "I will" 16 years ago! Thank you for encouraging me to not settle for status quo! Thank you for joining with me to change our family tree! He is worthy and worthy to be praised! When I look at you, Angela, I am filled with praise for what He has done! Happy Anniversary!

Don't be afraid to change your family tree!

Paul Kersh
Family Tree Ministries

1 comment:

  1. Love you, Paul. So proud you are my son and the father of my sweet grandchildren. Love Angela, too. HAPPY ANNIVERSARY

    ReplyDelete